Sunday, July 26, 2009

Night Photography

I am taking a night photography class once a week at the local community college. I thought that I would learn some specific techniques to capture life after dark. I have had two classes so far, the first in the classroom and the second where we met at the Santa Monica Pier.

The teacher has the "just try everything, I don't want to taint your art by telling you how to do anything" philosophy. That doesn't help me. What does help me are the other photographers...90% men. I can get specific setting ideas from them and then experiment.

I still have NO idea what I am doing, but I have learned a few things. I kinda like taking people pictures at night. I have said before that I am not interested in photographing people, but at night, they can't really tell where your tripod is aiming so they ignore you. I also learned that I need a little mini flashlight in my camera bag...it is hard to change the settings when you can't see. That is two things in two classes...not soooo bad!

I took a million pictures of ghost people and actually thought that was fun. I tried to take pictures of the Ferris Wheel in a cool way, but it didn't really work out. I am supposed to choose my favorite two to bring to the next class...still not sure which I will pick for the second one. This first one is my favorite...the ghosts were shopping for hats...while the other freaks where roaming the rest of the pier! If you have ever been there you will know what I mean...people are interesting!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.